Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Camus quote; front porches; neighbors

"In the midst of winter, I discovered within me an invincible summer"...that's French author Camus' thougths.  It has to be mine this season too!  Snow is forcast once more for tonight and tomorrow.  But the tulip leaves are tall; the spring beauties, trout lily and violets have sprouted in the woods and we Minnesotans NEED SPRING! 

Guess it'll have to be fresh ideas, not spring warmth, that will capture my fancy this week.  Amidst my de-cluttering of papers and books, old clothes and dishes, I'm coming up with ideas about the comfort of a front porch where neighbors used to sit, rocking, calling to passers-by to come sit and chat.  I miss that feeling.  Life has become so much more formal.  One doesn't "drop in" on friends; one calls first.  I never even see some of my "neighbors"...have never met them!  Some people own houses on Casco Point which they only visit a few days in the summer!  AMAZING!  It's a great spot with lots of interesting people!

For all the new homes being built, even in this recession, I haven't seen any with a front porch.  The house we bought across from St Thomas College for our college son to live in and rent to others DOES have a front porch.  There's even a fan and roll down wicker shades to block the sun and give privacy.  Otherwise, open the windows reveal strolling neighbors with their dogs and children strolling through the neighborhood for an evening walk or going to school.  It's a wonderful scene.  I can sit on the porch swing, with the fan cooling me on hot summer days and read a good book. 

We need more neighbor contact....who knows when we might need to borrow a cup of sugar of a flashlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment