Thursday, April 7, 2011

pansy faces appear

Purple and yellow pansy faces peek from clay pots lined up at John's Variety Store this morning.  The sun is shining and the ice is inching away from the shoreline of Lake Minnetonka.  Ice should be out in another week.  Then canoes, sailboats, cruisers and speedboats will appear floating and roaring across Carmen's Bay as I'll sit, musing about my column writing, on the dock with Buddy, my ravenous Beagle who just ate a whole loaf of bread off the kitchen counter! 

Death has invaded my life in voluminous numbers this past month.  We'll attend two more funerals this weekend.  I can feel my body weaken, tired with emotions difficult to deal with.  I remember Donne's "Death Be Not Proud" poem "though some have called you mighty and dreadful/thou art not so...? and e.e. cummings's "Buffalo Bill's Defunct" with a mighty and dreadful Mr. Death, but his power can't erase the memories we hold close of that person.  Memories live on.

Spring is a renewal of life.  Perhaps I'll feel recharged as the sun warms; the ice melts, and my tulips and crocus will burst into bloom.  I look forward to new life in nature and within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment